Health and Social Care Process Modelling
MAIN AIMS OF THE MODULE
This module aims to offer students a comprehensive understanding of the fundamentals of health and social care workflow process analysis and modelling as a necessary component of effective health and social care practice. Moreover, it integrates the core knowledge of the legal, regulatory, ethical, organisational, and economic aspects of healthcare delivery and the application of technology in this process. This knowledge will supplement the students’ skills and prepare them to recognise and respond to the major causes and social determinants of health, illness and health inequalities.
MAIN TOPICS OF STUDY
* Terminology of finance and marketing, tendering and project costing, management and organisation of healthcare systems.
* Design and management of patient pathways.
* The health and social care principles, priorities and practice.
* The perspective of the clinician and patient and the ethics of the use of telemedicine techniques, their role and their impact on the clinical process and relationship between doctor and patient.
* The use of information and communication technologies and the economics impacting in the healthcare sector.
* The elements involved in providing care within a complex health and social care system that reflect an understanding of workflow processes.
* Document clinical processes to facilitate workflow analysis and redesign.
* Develop a process map for given clinical process workflows within a complex health and social care system.
* Clinical decision-making and knowledge acquisition necessary for optimising health care processes.
* Graphically representation of a workflow process that reflects accepted standards for such representation.
* The standard processing mapping/modelling symbols and conventions.
* A plan for a revised and optimised clinical workflow within the health and social care system that integrates meaningful use of information and communication technologies.
Directed Self Study, Lectures, Practical training
Case study, Coursework, Practical presentations
Relevant professional experience, Undergraduate degree
Middlesex UB8 3PH